Heritage Council assessment
The District Office is also referred to as the Tuart Forest Visitors’ Centre and is currently vacant. It is a 4 roomed, timber framed building, clad with stained, square sawn weatherboards with a green Colorbond roof. The front and rear verandahs are located within the simple rectangular outline of the building, while the face-brick fireplace and chimney is expressed externally to the northeast elevation.
The external finishes, including the double hung sash windows, doors, verandah and gable details, are the same to both the original portion of the building and the c.1957 extension, suggesting that it was largely refurbished at the latter date. The external details are simple with little decorative treatment other than the recessed front verandah, which is finished with a horizontal moulded pine dado with vertical moulded panels over. The doors to the office areas at either end of the verandah have a single pane of obscure glass over three, narrow, vertical recessed panels (similar to those found in some of the 1950s houses). The external doors to the rear are simple ledge and brace.
Internally there are a variety of finishes to the main rooms. The former general office has wide Jarrah floorboards, plasterboard ceiling, and plasterboard walls with a timber dado that changes from Jarrah in the back part of the office to more recent softwood panelling in the area visible to the public. A safe is built into the public counter, which appears to have been refurbished with new timber panelling in the 1960s period. A painted brick fireplace with corbelled brick mantle is located at the centre of the north-eastern wall. The former records room in the centre of the building has wide jarrah floorboards and painted timber boards to the walls and ceiling. Built-in pigeonholes and storage cupboards line the north- western and south-western walls. The c.1957 addition has clear-finished pine floorboards, dado and decorative ceiling. A softwood panelled partition separates the space into two rooms. The former radio room, off the rear verandah, was locked at the time of inspection.