North east cottage group

There are four forestry cottages on the northern side of a curved track that leads off Ludlow Road immediately north of the bridge over the Ludlow River. The area was formerly occupied by eleven forestry cottage and two huts, but a number buildings have been removed. On the southern side of the track is an area of degraded bush on the banks of the river. There is a second track further north that accesses garages located behind the cottages. This track skirts the edge of the adjacent pine plantation.

On the western end of the row of cottages are two sites of former cottages (Buildings 44 and 45) identifiable by the remnants of garden trees and flowers (bulbs). Similarly, part way along the row is a vacant site of a former forestry cottage (Building 854). The approximately 1m high timber and woven wire front fences remain, together with shrubs and trees from the former gardens. Some original tubular metal framed woven wire gates are extant.

All cottages have front gardens enclosed by timber framed woven wire fences. Side boundary fencing is variously recent pine posts with wire and super-six asbestos sheet fencing. All cottages have original timber framed and clad outbuildings including garages, laundries and wcs. Most also have former water tanks in their backyards, generally no longer in use.

Two Forestry Cottages Type 8d (Buildings 853 and 855; c1950)

Heritage Council assessment
Both cottages are standard Type 8d with detached washhouses and timber framed and clad garages. Both cottages are generally intact, although with some modifications through the enclosure of the rear verandah, the replacement of the windows with aluminium framed glazing.

The cottages are timber framed, with square sawn Jarrah weatherboard cladding and corrugated iron hipped and gabled roofs. The living rooms project forward, and feature simple half timbered gables and triple, three-pane casement windows. The main roofs extend over the verandahs and are finished with vertical tongued and grooved panelling to the verandah ends. The verandahs have timber floors and are supported by simple square posts with timber handrails. The front bedroom windows facing onto the verandahs comprise paired, three-pane casement windows, as do the side-facing windows to the rear bedrooms and kitchens. Each cottage has a single chimney, simply detailed in face-brick with a soldier course detail at the top.

In plan the cottages include living rooms (with open fires), two bedrooms, kitchens (with wood stove), and bathrooms off the rear verandah. An additional bedroom is constructed on the rear verandah of each cottage.

The interiors are lined with plasterboard walls with timber battens to the top of the dado and to the vertical panel joints. The main rooms have stained Jarrah dados and the living rooms have picture rails. Plasterboard ceilings have simple moulded or coved cornices. Floors are 75mm jarrah T&G boards. The doors feature a single upper panel over three vertical panels. The living room fireplaces are face-brick with simple timber mantles. The kitchen fireplaces have higher segmental arched openings and simple timber mantles over.

Building 855 has a steel flue replacing the brick chimney and kitchen and bathroom fittings have been upgraded over time. An open bush pole and corrugated iron verandah has been added at the back of the house, the front of the washhouse has been partially enclosed, and additional sheds/carports have been erected around the original garage.

Completed works

  • General area cleanup

Future works

  • Complete restoration
Building 625

Building 625

Completed works

  • General area cleanup

Future works

  • Complete registration

Two Forestry Cottages Type 5 (Buildings 1109 and 1110; 1956)

Heritage Council assessment
Both cottages are standard Type 5 with detached washhouses and timber framed and clad garages.

The cottages are timber framed, with a corrugated iron hipped roof and timber cladding. Building 1109 has pine weatherboards which have been painted, while Building 1110 has stained, square sawn weatherboards with a chamfered edge.

Both cottages have a single chimney is plain face-brick with a soldier course detail at the top. The front of the building has a bedroom projecting in front of the other rooms and a skillion roof projecting further forward over the central verandah. The verandah had a timber floor and is supported by simple square posts. Building 1110 has a vertical timber panel balustrade.

The front living room and bedroom windows are triple casements with two horizontal glazing bars. The front kitchen window and the side windows are similar, paired casements. Some of the windows have framed awnings and others are unprotected.

In plan the cottages include a living room (with open fire), two bedrooms, kitchen (with wood stove), and a bathroom off the rear verandah.

The cottages are lined with plasterboard walls with dados and painted picture rails. Internal doors are flush panel, stained to blend with the dado and architraves. The front doors are divided horizontally into four panels, the upper three fitted with obscure glass. Plasterboard ceilings have moulded cornices. Floors are 75mm T&G boards. The living room fireplaces have face-brick with a flat arch and simple timber mantle.

Both cottages are generally intact, although rear verandah has been enclosed and aluminium windows have replaced some of the original casements. Kitchen and bathroom fittings have been upgraded over time.

The original front fence is intact, but the gate of Building 1109 is missing and the gate of Building 1110 is intact.

Completed works

  • Internal clean

Future works

  • Complete restoration (Priority)
Building 1110

Building 1110

Completed works

  • General yard cleanup

Future works

  • Complete registration
 

This product has been added to your cart

CHECKOUT